[mythtv-users] trouble fetching schedule data

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Thu Dec 22 12:59:57 UTC 2011

At 10:49 PM -0500 12/21/11, Steven Doerfler wrote:
>I entered my name and password for SchedulesDirect into MythTV-Setup and
>clicked Retrieve Lineups.  The screen flashed for a moment, but I
>couldn't see what it said.  I clicked it a few times trying to read the
>message, and then a message box appeared appeared and stayed.

I've had this behavior.  Do you have wget installed?

>At that point I had a box that said "Fetching Lineups from Schedules
>Direct" and showed 50% finished.  It stayed like that.  Activity Monitor
>said the setup program was using 100% of CPU and not responding.

In the last few weeks under .24.1, I've had a few instances where MythFilldatabase hung up for hours using 100% of one core and I've had to Force Quit the program.  Again, wget is required but is not present by default on OS X.  See:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X#Install_Wget

>I couldn't find any log files.  None of the log files at
>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/General_Troubleshooting_Tips exist on my Mac,
>and I didn't see any MythTV-related logs in the Mac's Console log-viewer
>either.

To get a log from mfd on Mac OS X (or any of the Myth* apps), you need to run it from the Terminal with a command line like:

/Applications/AudioVisualMusic/Myth/MythFillDatabase.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all > /var/log/mythlogs/mythfilldatabase.log

Note that I created the mythlogs directory under /var/log/.  You can still use Console.app to view/filter the logs.

Craig