[mythtv-users] Trimslice ARM PC

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Dec 22 21:37:54 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 13:43, Tyler T wrote:
> I have no complaints or regrets except enduring denigrating comments
> from certain people on this list that look down on ARM users. You'll
> get used to it. :)

As a bit of defense against that statement, the denigrating comments are
from people who look down on users of all underpowered backends.  I have
no prejudice against the ARM, as I consider Atom backend to be an
equally poor prospect.

The problem isn't that it can't be used as a backend, as your example so
clearly shows it can.  The problem is that it is inherently limited.  As
you stated, transcoding and commercial flagging are out of the question
without an external jobqueue.  Playback is out of the question without
some form of hardware decode acceleration, which has not yet been
written for any ARM platform.  Lack of PCI(e) slots means limitations on
tuners.  Lack of disk controllers means you have to use port replicators
or network storage.  However, the biggest issue is the scheduler.

As has been mentioned repeatedly, the scheduler is single-threaded and
takes a long time to run.  Number of channels, days of data, number of
rules, number of past recordings, number of tuners, they all affect how
long the scheduler runs take.  For a typical broadcast market, a low end
backend would likely suffice.  For a large broadcast market, or a cable
lineup, it likely won't be enough.  An experienced user who knows
exactly the role they want MythTV to fulfill, and the performance
requirements of such, they can choose to use a low powered backend.  For
most experienced users, and all new users, the lack of adaptability
makes it unsuitable.