[mythtv-users] Trimslice ARM PC

Greg Cope gregcope at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 09:41:38 UTC 2011

On 23 December 2011 06:43, Ian Bonham <ian.bonham at gmail.com> wrote:

> My main thing is, can we run a master BE on ARM (or ATOM) hardware? Forget
> transcoding and tuners, we can wake up a slave backend for that sort of
> work surely? However, to control the central database and communicate with
> the rest of the Myth layout, is an ARM powered low energy PC enough? If the
> master BE is staying on 24/7 (hopefully) then any way we can reduce
> power requirements should be good?
>
> With the money our providers charge here in Spain for 'leccy, and the
> regular on/off times, putting everything on a low powered back up device
> that can speak to the rest of the network has to be all good.
>
> The main thing I was looking for tho was experiences from people who have
> done such a job, and what they'd discovered, and big thanks to "Tyler T"
> for his reply on that front.
>
> Anyone else using ARM based Backends with good/bad reports?
> Muchly appreciated and any warnings of Gotchas!
>
> Bon

I have run an dual core Atom backend for 2 years without issue (UK, Twin
USB DVB tuner).  It can transcode/commercial skip/edit at near realtime.

The power requirements are I think over estimated when you have something
like VDPAU, and more than one disk (recordings/mysql).

A recent ARM would probably work well.

Greg