[mythtv-users] MythTV Companion for iPad Update

David Cramblett david at functionalchaos.net
Fri Dec 23 22:09:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM, adrinux <adrinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Forget the donations, just go for the usual low app price - if it
>>> makes you embarrassingly rich you can donate some to mythtv ;)
>>>
>>> Just got an iPad and your app sounds perfect!
>>>

>> I agree - put it on the app store for $4.99 or something. If it does
>> well, not only will you make some money but it will add some validity to
>> MythTV as a product and may even get more developers on board. My HP
>> TouchPad was just delivered and is waiting for me at home, and the promise
>> of this app is the only reason I'm considering not selling my iPad.
>>

> Just to circle back on the cost issue, I have more or less settled on
> offering it for $1.99... I'd need to sell about 500 copies to offset the
> cost of the iPad and dev license.  Thereafter, I had intended to take the
> first few hundred to purchase android hardware to explore a port/equivalent.

I'm so happy to hear your at least "considering" looking at an android
port.  When I first saw your posts about the iPad app and watched the
videos, I was considering asking about android.  I decided I didn't want to
thank you for your hard work by asking for more.

I don't know how you feel about this, but myself and few others in my
office would be willing to donate to an "android hardware fund" if you were
to put up a donation link.  I am guessing others would as well.  I also
don't think accepting donations for hardware would preclude you from still
charging a nominal fee in the app market to support future development as
new devices are released over the years.

Regardless, the iPad app looks outstanding.  Nice work.

> There may not be 500 interested buyers out there, or I might be surprised.
>  My goal had been to finish the basics and be polishing by January 15th,
> but that has slipped somewhat as work has kept me too busy to look at it in
> my spare time this month.  As it will also probably be a few months before
> .25 is in circulation, and since I would rather be aiming at a static
> Services API target, I will probably try to time App store submission for
> right around when we declare what looks like a final release candidate.
>
> My list of outstanding "major" issues is, off the top of my head:
>
> * Rework the UI of the video/recording library browser slightly
> * Add a "common" remote to become visible when playback is not in progress
> * Possible/Depends on available time: Add Service API calls for
> scheduling, rework guide, add features to perform recording rule editing
> (This one is a major maybe for V1).
> * Thoroughly test streaming behaviors, which will require some work on
> both the API and application side.
> * Slightly rework settings screens
>
> Other than that, I've been making my less technical loved ones use the app
> without any instruction to uncover potential usability improvements-- since
> the app is aimed at all Myth users, and hopes to provide a UI that needs to
> explanation, this has been a very enlightening process.
>
> Robert

David Cramblett