[mythtv-users] Powering up hidden FE

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Tue Dec 27 03:12:09 UTC 2011

Kenneth Emerson <kenneth.emerson at gmail.com> wrote on Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 12:31:17PM -0600:
>  On Dec 24, 2011 12:23 PM, "Dale Pontius" <DEPontius at edgehp.net> wrote:

> > > The MCEUSB units can power up a machine over USB if powered off the 5VSB
> > > signal, but it relies on the motherboard being able to accept the signal
> > > in that sleep state.  Some can, other can't.
> >
> > I'm running a dedicated FE machine this way.  Right after kernel-2.6.32
> > it became necessary to do extra tweaks in the /sys tree to tell the
> > proper USB stuff to stay awake while the system slept.  Simply setting
> > stuff in /proc/acpi/wake no longer works.  Apparently I have one of
> > lucky motherboards.  Incidentally, there wasn't much documentation, nor
> > was it readily available about the post-2.6.32 /sys tweaks to support
> > USB wakeup from the mceusb receiver.  That system is sleeping now, but
> > if anyone needs the info, I can grab it next time it's awake.
> >
> Yes, please share when it is convenient.

On my system, in addition to:

  echo "USBn" > /proc/acpi/wakeup

for appropriate values of n, I also had to do this:

  echo enabled > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.1/usb4/4-1/4-1:1.0/rc/rc0/input4/../power/wakeup

You should be able to find your IR receiver's device path in the dmesg
output. To run this automatically on every reboot, I made a udev rule
like this:

  SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1784", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0008"
  RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo enabled > /sys$env{DEVPATH}/../power/wakeup'"

Your idVendor and idProduct would likely be different. You should be
able to discover them with:

  udevadm info --attribute-walk --path /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.1/usb4/4-1/4-1:1.0/rc/rc0/input4

replacing that path with your own, of course.