[mythtv-users] tuner priorities

Neil Cooper neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 27 14:33:44 UTC 2011

--- On Fri, 12/23/11, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> From: David Engel <david at istwok.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] tuner priorities
> To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Friday, December 23, 2011, 9:57 AM
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 04:51:16PM
> -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > On 12/22/2011 04:34 PM, Tim Draper wrote:
> > > i have DVB-T, and DVB-S2 tuners in my BE.
> > > the DVB-T is fairly poor signal with intermittent
> blocking so my
> > > preference is to use the DVB-S2 tuners if at all
> possible.
> > >
> > > both the DVB-T and DVB-S2 have overlapping
> channels (eg: BBC One), and
> > > i have both inputs allowing all channels.
> > >
> > > i have set tuner priority of the DVB-T as -2.
> (DVB-S2 is 0)
> > > i have also enabled 'avoid conflicts' in the FE
> settings.
> > >
> > > when i watch liveTV, it will default to the DVB-T
> input, which is not
> > > desired behaviour.
> > > the DVB-T tuner should only be used when a
> channel is only available
> > > on the DVB-T source, OR both DVB-S2 inputs are
> inuse.
> > >
> > > i think i've asked this before (or atleast seen
> another thread), but i
> > > cant find the info anymore. in the past i've
> configured it so DVB-T
> > > only channels are available on that source, but i
> cant remember if
> > > this was for convenience, or a technical reason.
> > >
> > > can this be done?
> >
> > Input priorities ("tuner" priorities) are evil--they
> tell MythTV what to
> > record, not where to record it, so they don't do what
> people expect they
> > do.  Also, priority /never/ has any effect on
> capture card/input chosen
> > for Live TV.
> >
> > Therefore, you probably shouldn't be using input
> priorities.  (Please
> > read all of http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html for
> details
> > on how priorities work.)
> >
> > Instead, "Delete all capture cards" (won't affect
> channels--but will
> > reset everything so you can configure it correctly and
> without input
> > priorities), then re-create capture cards and
> re-connect inputs.
> >
> > Create capture cards in the opposite order you want
> them used for Live
> > TV and make sure you keep "Avoid conflicts..."
> enabled.  (So, sounds
> > like you want to create the DVB-S2 cards first, then
> DVB-T cards.)
> >
> > /Then/ connect inputs in the order you want them used
> for recordings.
> >
> > And note that the capture card order need not be the
> same as the input
> > order...
> >
> > And don't ever set any input priorities, again.
>
> I'm going to ignore the live TV issue for a moment.
>
> If I understand Tim correctly, his situation is the main
> reason input
> priorities exist.  He has an input which is less
> [...]

David,

I'd also like to vote for getting the Live TV priorities added.

If you still have some additional spare time, I'd REALLY appreciate getting the mythwelcome logic sorted out. The 2 main issues are:

1) The rules Mythwelcome uses to figure out to automatically launch the frontend or not (i.e. box auto-powered up for recording vs. started by user) are insane and don't ever seem to work. In my case it ALWAYS launches the frontend, even if it was started by the bios timer 2 minutes before a recording.

I believe currently mythwelcome is coded to determine if the start is within an arbirtrary 15 minutes period prior to the next recording as the test to start the frontend or not.

The ideal way would be to test if the power button, WOL, or bios timer was used to power the box up, however if there's really no way to get this info, then it should at least use the "wakeup prior to recording" time difference configured by the user in the mythtv-setttings rather than a hardcoded 15 minutes.

2) Add support for clicking the OK button on mythwelcome (that launches the frontend) to the TCP mythtv control port. (My remote receiver is plugged into an always-on linux embedded unit, which in turn uses the mythtv control port. I do this so I can also use my remote to power up the mythtv box by having the embedded unit send a WOL). I'm sure otehrs would appreciate this too.

Thnks so much,

Neil Cooper.