[mythtv-users] Are Apple's Keyboard & Track Pad good options?

Andrew Hughes ahhughes at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 02:26:29 UTC 2011

My opinion for anyone reading this (probably at some point in the distant
future)...

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:
===================
Every alternative I have ever seen has (arguably) more drawbacks but this
combination is by no means perfect, but I am happy! Drawbacks...
- keyboard's missing delete key (others too, but delete is the biggest lost
IMHO)
- trackpad really needs to be on a hard surface
- trackpad dpi settings for 1080+ resolutions are ignored
These are the three main issues that you should be made aware of (IMHO).
Aside from that, there are a lot of positives!

read on if you want....

IN DETAIL
===============================

Setup & Installation:
Was easy, once I found a USB 2.0 dongle that was compatible with mythbuntnu
and I had to install bluez packages and the gnomebluetooth package (this
has a ui to configure your bluetooth devices, see
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeBluetooth).

Apple Mini Bluetooth Keyboard:
The keyboard is really good, been using it for months now and the batteries
are still going. I can't fault it for its performance. If I had to list the
drawbacks (in order of importance) for this I would say:
- No delete key (on the mini keyboard), only backspace (even if apple label
the key 'delete' its still backspace). It's probably very common to map ui
actions in iOS to this key, but in linux apps this doesn't appear to be the
case, its common to use the delete key.
- No home/end keys (on the mini keyboard).
- No back lighting option, which is a definite plus for HTPC use.
- No number pad (on the mini keyboard).
If these aren't deal breakers for you, then its obviously a good keyboard.

Apple Magic Trackpad:
Getting this working as a fully functional trackpad (i.e. all gestures and
configurable) is something I still have not accomplished. Mouse movement,
click left, right , middle, and two finger scrolling all works perfectly
and was easy to setup and get working (as above). I'm happy with just the
normal mouse functions (would like more, but I am happy). But its not
without its problems....
- Clicks really only happen when the trackpad is on a hard surface, or you
do a real quick hard tap action (not 100% effective and doesn't work with
click+drag). This really sucks for us couch sitters :'( the reason for this
is that the depression points are two small rubber feet on the bottom front
corners of the trackpad (try a google image search for 'magic trackpad
feet' to see these little grey guys). If you borrow your grandma's serving
tray to rest your trackpad on while couch sitting it'll work find, but you
will struggle to find a tray with similar look and feel / aesthetics as the
apple devices (no matter how cool your granny is).
- 1080 screens and dpi settings are problematic. The problem is simple,
can't cover the entire screen in one movement without lifting your finger
off. You *should* be able to fix this by increasing the dpi setting on the
trackpad, there is a setting for this under System -> xxI forget ->
Mouse... % dpi something%. But it seems to have no effect :'(  You get used
to keeping windows close together, or starting for the very edge of the
trackpad when attempting a drag e.t.c. but you need to know, this is not a
plus. If the DPI setting is applied this problem would be insignificant.