[mythtv-users] Configuring mceusb for frontend with 3.0 kernel

Alex Halovanic halovanic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 04:15:49 UTC 2011

I was also having the same issues with a new mceusb device and a newish
kernel.  I came out of the other end with a solution using devinput:

lircd.conf:
<pre>
DRIVER="devinput"
#Used by-id so dev/input device won't jump around on reboot
DEVICE="/dev/input/by-id/usb-Topseed_Technology_Corp._eHome_Infrared_Transceiver_EID0137AG-8-0000021942-event-if00"
</pre>

hardware.conf:
<pre>
#Already exists here in Debian
include "/usr/share/lirc/remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput"
</pre>

This was sufficient to get back responses for every button for an mceusb
remote (or a Harmony now using the same codes) from irw.  I had to change
all of my lircrc bindings for MythTV of course, since the devinput key
names don't match up with previous conventions.

Since X.org has support for the remote, with any of these LIRC setups,
you're probably going to need to add this stanza to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
to prevent Myth from getting double key presses:

<pre>
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "Remote"
    MatchProduct "Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver"
    Option "Ignore" "True"
EndSection
</pre>

In a perfect world, this X support would be all you'd need and you could
remove LIRC.  And you could if you don't mind just using the numbers and
the arrow keys and a few others.  But the X11 specification can't support
keycodes > 255 which is what a lot of the fancier keys map to.

-Alex