[mythtv-users] kernel 3.0.6 and lirc 9.0 problems

Dan Littlejohn dan.littlejohn at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 00:27:15 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Dan Littlejohn <dan.littlejohn at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Manuel McLure <manuel at mclure.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:17 PM, leo weppelman
>> <leoweppelman at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I used this thread:
>> http://forum.xbmc.org/archive/index.php/t-104541.html
>>
>> I've had no luck with Gentoo 2.6.39 and lirc 0.9.0 (I'm using the imon
>> reciever in an Antec Veris case.) I finally managed to get the events
>> to be generated (KEY_UP, KEY_DOWN, etc.) as listed by "ir-keytable -t"
>> (and they worked at a console prompt - for example pressing the "UP"
>> button on the remote would fo to the previous item in the shell
>> history) but MythTV would just sit there at the main menu - not even a
>> physical keyboard hooked up to the machine would work in MythTV. I
>> gave up and went back to 2.6.35 with 0.8.7 which works great.
>> --
>> Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
>> ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
>> no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft
>>

> Leo's link was very helpful.  This is what I have learned.  I had an old
> version of v4l-utils and ir-keytable -t did not work.  I upgraded it.
>
> I was not able to get ir-keytable -t to work with 2.6.39 at all for some
> reason.  I was able to get dmesg entries with
>
>     modprobe ir-kbd-i2c debug=1
>
> but no output from ir-keytable -t.  The guide Leo linked to was very
> helpful to clue me in that if ir-keytable -t did not work, then there was a
> problem with the driver.  I finally compiled a new 3.0.3 kernel, modprobe
> ir-kbd-i2c, and ir-keytable -t just worked with no configuration changes.
> I compiled lirc 9.0 again with LIRC_CONFIG='devinput', copied
> lircd.conf.devinput to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf, and started
>
>     lircd -n -H devinput -d /dev/input/event4
>
> then irw showed keypress events.  I thought I was in the good to go at
> that point, but not quite.  My limited understanding is that mythtv still
> needs lirc in order to see remote events, but I could not seem to sort that
> out.  Mythtv did not respond to the remote events irw did.  WAF became low
> so I reverted back to 2.6.35 and lirc 8.7 for now.
>
> If I do get some time soon to revisit this and figure out why mythtv does
> not see the lirc events, I will try to copy what Douglas Clowes posted in
> another thread to reverse pass events to my serial IR blaster.
>
>     lircd --driver=devinput --device=/dev/input/event4
> --pid=/var/run/lirc/lircd_recv.pid
>     ir-keytable -p LIRC
>     lircd --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd_send
> --pid=/var/run/lirc/lircd_send.pid
>
> I believe I eventually will need to figure this out, but as the newer
> kernel worked a lot better for me maybe this still needs a bit more time to
> bake and for more commits to be made to the kernel and other software.
>
> Hopefully, this info helps someone else.
>
> Dan

I am converting over my remote and ir blaster to the in kernel modules and
have the remote working.  Am using Gentoo and enabled the modules for the
3.0.6 kernel and compiled LIRC 9.0.  After enabling ir-kdb-i2c kernel
module and using irw to see what the new keys were I updated ~/.lircrc and
the remote works fine (config files below).

I am hoping someone can give me some tips on how to get my serial ir
blaster to work.  I have been trying to add this additional line to the
lircd file, but I cannot figure out how to make the socket work (I think
this uses /dev/lirc0 by default, but there is no lirc0 and
/dev/input/event4, which is what the remote is using also does not work).

        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile
/var/run/lirc/lircd_send.pid --exec /usr/sbin/lircd -- \
               -P /var/run/lirc/lircd_send.pid
output=/var/run/lirc/lircd_send

I have messed with ir-keytables -p LIRC, to enable the lirc bridge but have
had no success either.  ir-keytables does not show any changes when I
attempt to make changes like this.  Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

+++

/etc/init.d/lircd

#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2004 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/app-misc/lirc/files/lircd-0.8.6,v 1.1
2009/10/04 18:48:29 fauli Exp $

depend() {
        provide lirc
}

start() {
        ebegin "Starting lircd"
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile
/var/run/lirc/lircd_recv.pid --exec /usr/sbin/lircd -- \
               -P /var/run/lirc/lircd_recv.pid --driver=devinput
--device=/dev/input/event4
eend $?
}

stop() {
        ebegin "Stopping lircd"
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile
/var/run/lirc/lircd_recv.pid --exec /usr/sbin/lircd --
--pidfile=/var/run/lirc/lircd_recv.pid
eend $?

~/.lircrc

begin