[mythtv-users] Best way to auto Transcode MPEG2 SD to save storage space

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Dec 31 22:58:22 UTC 2011

On 12/31/2011 15:38, Roger Heflin wrote:
> On SD to SD I get around 1.15GB ->  390MB, on 1080i I get 10GB ->  600MB, so there is a decent amount of savings.

On the other hand, that 700MB you recovered is going to cost you all of
about $0.02 of disk space, so really an absolutely inconsequential
amount of savings.  Converting 10GB of video down to 600MB, I surely
hope you are dropping it to 480p at that point, as 1.5-2hrs of HD video
in low bitrate will look absolutely abysmal.  Even 480p at that bitrate
h.264 will result in very noticeable quality loss.