[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 HD in the UK

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Feb 1 11:59:58 UTC 2011

On 1 Feb 2011, at 10:55, Andrew Gee wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested in getting either a DVB-S or DVB-S2 usb tuner for my
> mythtv setup and I'm looking for advice.
>
> I found this thread in the mailing list archives:
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-January/276698.html
>
> This message was just over a year ago. Has the move to DVB-S2 for the
> BBC and others still not happened?

BBC HD, BBC One HD, ITV HD and Luxury Life HD (yeah well, is is HD) are all still DVBS transmissions.

Some of the ITV regions share with SD channels so these have to stay as DVBS, unless they get moved, some are only HD as are all the BBC transmissions. These could switch to DVBS2 in theory, whenever they like, there are rumours that some receivers don't work properly with some of the DVBS2 modes and this is why they have stayed on DVBS.

> Is it still going to be worth getting an S2 tuner?

It would be very annoying to buy a DVBS tuner the day before all these guys switch to DVBS2 ;-)

There's no supported way to use any of the current DVBS2 HD UK transmissions with MythTV, moan at Sky as to why you can't have a CAM instead of a Sky Box!

There are new satellites due for this position starting in 2012, this may change everything.

> And does anyone have a recommended USB tuner for DVB-S/DVB-S2?

I don't do usb and I try not to let my friends do usb ;-)

Andre