[mythtv-users] lirc_zilog - HDPVR

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Feb 2 20:36:31 UTC 2011

On Feb 2, 2011, at 2:32 PM, DaWorm wrote:

> Jarod,
>  I'm going to need to use the blaster from my HD-PVR very soon, and
> am running Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit (I gave up on Fedora some time back,
> although I used to use it and your guide religiously).  Is there a
> guide on what I am going to need to do?  Does it include rebuilding
> and patching kernels

Sort of. You'll still need some hdpvr driver patches, and along with
those, some lirc_zilog patches. It can be done without rebuilding the
entire kernel though, you really only have to build the v4l/dvb/rc
stack.

> (one of the reasons I went with Ubuntu was to get
> out of the business of making custom kernels all the time).

Well, to me, that reasoning makes absolutely no sense. Fedora 14's
kernel shares the same base as Ubuntu 10.10 (2.6.35.x), but is far
more up-to-date with upstream features not in 2.6.35.x, because there
are actually kernel engineers at Red Hat who work on the stuff in the
upstream kernel and backport the bits to Fedora (and RHEL) as needed,
while Canonical has adopted a fairly stringent policy against doing
such things (mostly due to lack of capacity, I believe). At least on
the IR side, the code in the stock Ubuntu 10.10 kernel is so outdated
now, the standard recommendation I've seen is to run 2.6.37 builds
from a ppa somewhere. Meanwhile, even the IR stack in 2.6.37 lacks
some critical fixes for the HD-PVR's IR part, which are on tap for
inclusion in 2.6.38. But they're also already in the latest Fedora 14
kernel. Anyway...

> Will I be able to learn my remote codes,

No.

> or will I be forced to use a prepackaged set

Yes.

> and hope that one exists for my device (a Comcast DTA)?

It does.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com