[mythtv-users] MySQL on SSD 99% Utilization

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 16:40:46 UTC 2011

I've finally gotten my new backend up and running.  It's a Core i5-750 with
4GB RAM and 6TB disk.  I'm seeing something strange and I wonder if I should
have put MySQL on my spinning disk instead of my OS SSD.  I have the OS on a
Kingston SSD Now 30GB drive (not the best performer, but great for a small
OS).  I also have /var/lib/mysql on this disk.  With two commflag jobs
running, my host has a load of 4, CPUs are only running at 1.2GHz and iostat
shows the SSD is 99% utilized:

Device:         rrqm/s   wrqm/s     r/s     w/s    rkB/s    wkB/s avgrq-sz
avgqu-sz   await  svctm  %util
sdg               0.00    26.00    0.00  129.00     0.00   400.00
6.20     0.99    7.61   7.65  98.70

The CPUs are doing almost nothing so it appears the MySQL updates being
performed during a commflag are screwing with the SSD.  Is it generally a
bad practice to put MySQL on a SSD?  I figured it would provide a nice fast
DB and keep my DB separate from my recording disks, but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for any tips.

/Brian/