[mythtv-users] HDPVR problems

Mark Dryden renegade8040 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 20:08:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Tom Runner <tomj.runner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Mark Dryden <renegade8040 at gmail.com>wrote:

>>>        Are you sure your device is on /dev/video1 instead of /dev/video0
>>> which is usually the default? Do an ls /dev and see which /dev/videoXX you
>>> have, then follow the wiki based on that.
>>>
>>> Ramin
>>>

>> My device is on /dev/video0 for sure.  Using Roberts suggestion I ran
>> "v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0 --set-input=2" to set the video input to be
>> composite.  Now I can use the cat command to create a video file that
>> actually works.  I have a new problem though.  When I open the mythtv front
>> end, the video input is set to 0 which is component.  I think that's why I'm
>> getting a black screen when I try to watch live tv from the front end.  I
>> have the back end capture card setup to use the composite inputs but that
>> doesn't seem to work.  Also I now know that my channel change script doesn't
>> work.  Why would the front end switch the video input on me?

>> Hi Mark,
>
> Normally the command "v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0 --set-input=2" will
> just set temporarily the input and will not override the mythbackend setup.
> During the various test I made, I noticed the HDPVR is touchy with the
> cables. I faced sometimes the /dev/video0 being changed to /dev/video1,
> simply because I unplugged the usb cable (I'm using ubuntu).
> What I would check:
> - on the  HDPVR, only having composite cable being plugged, if for instance
> you have spdif in but not out, it may not work
> - on the backend, cross-check again the card is well set on /dev/video0
> - backend input card, making sure you have your source setup on Composite
> (3r line normally). I guess your problem is here.
> - still backend input card, composite, making sure you have /bin/true in
> the "external channel change"
>
> Finally if all is good, please provide the log error.

I finally figured out why its changing to component and not using the
composite.  On the "Input Connections" page, I had set up the component
input with the video source and not the composite one.  Once I removed the
video source from the component and added it into the composite, it stopped
giving me the above problem.  I'm still not getting any video when I go to
watch live tv though.  And my channel changing script works when I call it
on the command line, but it doesn't work through the live tv page.  I
noticed that when I use the cat command the HDPVR lights up blue, but when I
try to watch through the live tv page it doesn't.  Anyone have any
suggestions.  Also, where is the error log files located?