[mythtv-users] Hardware configuration and capabilities of MythTV

john.baab at gmail.com john.baab at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 21:07:52 UTC 2011

> I would like to setup a backend server that has multiple tuners in it.  I
> would like at least two of those tuners to be able to receive cable
> broadcasts, including those that are encrypted (maybe with a “CableCARD” in
> the tuner?).  Additionally, I would like at least two more tuners that are
> capable of receiving NTSC and ATSC broadcasts.

Silicon Dust had a CableCard tuner coming out, unfortunately it will
most likely be useless with your TWC.

> What kind of tuner cards will accomplish my goal?

A combination of 1 HDHR and 1 HDPVR would serve you pretty well here.
You would use the HDHR to pick up all your locals, its a dual tuner
and supports multirec so it can most likely cover all of your locals.
Then you would need a cable box from your cable company, and hook up
the HDPVR to that and use it to record all the channels that the HDHR
cannot access.

> How much horsepower does a backend server need in order to handle 4 to 8
> tuners?

Any decent dual core machine should do just fine.  You could even get
away with less but I'd aim for dual core or better if working from
scratch.

> How much horsepower does a frontend server need, if the backend server is on
> a separate piece of hardware?

Frontend boxes can be very light weight, its very common to use an Ion
or Ion2 box anymore.

> Is it possible, with Myth software to rip DVD and Blu-Ray discs to the hard
> drive on the backend server, so they can be accessed by any of the front-end
> servers?

Kinda, you'd need to rip elsewhere, but once you put the videos into
MythVideo they can be played on any Frontend.  I'd recommend checking
out makemkv.

You can see my setup here, which uses a lot of the hardware which
would be useful in your setup: http://www.baablogic.net/drupal/node/13