[mythtv-users] ivtv PVR500 issues on Fedora 14

Andrew Allison andrew.allison at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 22:43:25 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com>
To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] ivtv PVR500 issues on Fedora 14
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 16:31:22 -0500

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Andrew Allison
<andrew.allison at gmail.com> wrote:

        On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Jarod Wilson
        <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

               Could be that the card isn't getting enough juice on the
        new
               board,
               but I'm not really sure. Don't suppose you have a 3rd
        machine
               you could
               try it in, or the ability to try it on the old backend
        with the
               newer
               code to help narrow down if its a hardware compatibility
        issue
               or a
               code compatibility issue? Somewhere or another, I have a
        PVR-500
               of my
               own at home, I should dig it out and throw it in a
        machine...

               I'd also advise filing a bug in Red Hat's bugzilla,
        cc'ing me,
               and I can
               get the upstream ivtv maintainer involved, if need be.

        Jarod,
        I'll try the F14 x86_64 Live CD on my old backend and see what
        ivtv
        says.  Depending on that outcome, I'll log a bugzilla, etc.

        Has anyone else got a PVR-500 working in a MSI P55-GD65
        motherboard?

        /Brian/

        Comparing your dmesg with mine Fedora 14 x86_64 ASUS M4A77TD
        Quad AMD

        I'm noticing that in your pasebin file between
        line 3 and line 4 Mine is slightly different.

        [   68.775816] ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.1
        [   68.789429] ivtv0: Initializing card 0
        [   68.802791] ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23416
        based)
        [   68.816578]   alloc irq_desc for 21 on node 0
        [   68.816580]   alloc kstat_irqs on node 0
        [   68.816586] ivtv 0000:05:06.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 21 (level,
        low) -> IRQ 21

        I've got the extra lines with the alloc irq part. Don't know if
        this means anything.

Andrew, Jarod,

The PVR500 works fine with the F14 x86_64 Live CD on my old backend
which was running CentOS 5.

The ivtv-related output from dmesg is here:
http://pastebin.com/NZhzPUyK

The start of the differences is where the old backend boots and says
it's changing the "unreasonably low" latency timer from 32 to 64.  On my
new Core i5-based backend, it says the following:

tveeprom 4-0050: Huh, no eeprom present (err=-6)?
tveeprom 4-0050: Encountered bad packet header [a8]. Corrupt or not a
Hauppauge eeprom.
ivtv0: Invalid EEPROM
cx25840 4-0044: Unable to detect h/w, assuming cx23887

The system power supply should be sufficient.  It's a Seasonic 80+ Gold
certified 650W power supply.  I've got everything stuffed in a
Silverstone LC17 case (6 hard drives), which means I only have 1 PCI
slot where I can physically put the cards.  The other PCI slots are
useless for larger cards because the hard drives protrude so far back on
top of the motherboard.

http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l561/briandlong/?action=view&current=NewBackend.jpg

/Brian/

Um, noticed that on your old machine, like mine....

ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.1
and you new machine is using a different version

ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.2

Don't know it that means anything. I'm no expert at this level.

Andrew