[mythtv-users] ivtv PVR500 issues on Fedora 14

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Feb 7 06:32:59 UTC 2011

On Feb 5, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Brian Long wrote:
> Andrew, Jarod,
>
> The PVR500 works fine with the F14 x86_64 Live CD on my old backend which was running CentOS 5.
>
> The ivtv-related output from dmesg is here:
> http://pastebin.com/NZhzPUyK
>
> The start of the differences is where the old backend boots and says it's changing the "unreasonably low" latency timer from 32 to 64.  On my new Core i5-based backend, it says the following:
>
> tveeprom 4-0050: Huh, no eeprom present (err=-6)?
> tveeprom 4-0050: Encountered bad packet header [a8]. Corrupt or not a Hauppauge eeprom.
> ivtv0: Invalid EEPROM
> cx25840 4-0044: Unable to detect h/w, assuming cx23887
>
> The system power supply should be sufficient.  It's a Seasonic 80+ Gold certified 650W power supply.  I've got everything stuffed in a Silverstone LC17 case (6 hard drives), which means I only have 1 PCI slot where I can physically put the cards.  The other PCI slots are useless for larger cards because the hard drives protrude so far back on top of the motherboard.

There are, iirc, both 3.3v and 5v PCI slots. Its entirely possible that the
PVR-500 requires a 5v slot, and at least the slot you're using right now is
only capable of delivering 3.3v. That's about the only thing I can come up
with anyway, if the F14 GA kernel (the one on the live CD) works on your old
backend just fine, but not in the new one. That, or some other quirk with
the new board that the card doesn't like for some reason. Dunno.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com