[mythtv-users] No Display

Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Feb 8 04:29:27 UTC 2011

Sent from my iPhone

On 2011-02-07, at 18:42, Andy <mizeraka at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well that is a great idea... in theory.  I tried this a couple of different ways... I paused a YouTube clip, and I tried playing a 10 second silence clip on loop in audacious and in VLC.
>
> When I do that, I can "see" the desktop and/or the mythtv frontend. But when I try to play a clip, I get an error saying: "Potential ALSA version problem; [the program] failed to initialize your sound output device (if any).  Please update alsa-lib to version 1.0.23-2-g8d80d5f or higher to try to fix this issue"
>
> I am running mythtv v. 0.24, so I assume this error message is occurring because the ALSA mixer is occupied with whatever was playing.
>
> Also is it weird that the TV continues to recognize the signal even when a clip is paused?
>

> On Feb 7, 2011, at 1:14 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

You have never directly said whether you can boot to a login screen or to the desktop. This makes it difficult to diagnose.
If you turn off auto-login and autostart of mythfromtend, what happens?

It is also possible that your hdmi cable is not correct. Have you tried a different cable and the various inputs?

There is absolutely no reason why your box should not talk to an LG tv. I seriously doubt that LG *removed* that capability since mine was made. So it *is* operator error of some sort. And we don't know enough to figure it out.
What IS your output from the card? DVI, or hdmi? Do you have component or composite or Svideo outputs from the card?

Need more info.
Geoff