[mythtv-users] hours to edit channels?

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 07:05:13 UTC 2011

On 02/07/2011 09:21 PM, Josh Rosenberg wrote:
> All,
>
> Thanks to Douglas Peale for helping me with my previous problem.  My
> HDHR was indeed trying to tune channels on old frequencies after my
> cable provider changed the frequencies for everything.
>
> Now things "work", but it seems like I'm doing something wrong still,
> and I was hoping someone could fill me in on what I'm missing.
> Whenever I have to rescan channels, it takes me 2 hours or more to get
> things back to normal.  After waiting out the scan process and adding
> in all the conflicting channels, I tend to undergo the following
> procedure:
>
> 1.  Tune to the next low-numbered channel (e.g. 3_1)
> 2.  Try to figure out which real channel it is based on network logos
> and the like, sometimes cheating by using a non-Myth cable box (e.g.
> WCAU, the local CBS station)
> 3.  Look up on schedules direct's website to see what the channel
> number is supposed to be (e.g. 232)
> 4.  Edit the channel to give it the number 232, a sensible callsign
> (e.g. "CBS/WCAU"), and a sensible name (e.g. "CBS 3").
>
> This takes forever.  Sometimes it takes me days to properly identify
> some of the subtler channels.  And I have to do this over again every
> time I have to re-scan for channels.  I must be missing something,
> right?
>
> I tried the procedure at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Scte65scan , but I
> found it mostly unhelpful.  It found scrambled cable channels and SD
> versions of network channels -- exactly what I don't want.  I mainly
> watch HD versions of network channels, but also enjoy the few
> unscrambled cable channels I get.
>
> Please advise, and thanks in advance!
>
> Josh Rosenberg

Unless you can convince your cable company to publish a proper list of channel mappings (unlikely), you are not missing
anything, that is what you will have to do.

Usually, my cable company only changes a couple of channels at a time, so I only have to rescan the channels that changed. You
can use "HDHomeRun Config" to see if the channels have changed by recording which channels are where and checking from time to
time. You may be able to automate this check as well, though on demand channels will make grep difficult, and you won't know
where channels have moved to, only that they have moved.

Scte65scan can generate a list of callsigns to frequencyID to cable company channel numbers, but it is only good for limited
basic SD channels, and includes a bunch of encrypted extended basic SD channels. It does save some time trying to figure out
what the channels are.

Also SiliconDust.com has local channel mappings that may help, though they are not always accurate.