[mythtv-users] IPv6

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 03:35:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 17:11, freedenizen <freedenizen at gmail.com> wrote:
> With all the recent news lately about running out of IPv4 addresses
> and such, I've been starting to plan my migration to IPv6, obviously
> there will be much tunneling for IPv4 connectivity.  Does anyone know
> if there are plans for IPv6 support in myth in the next couple
> releases?

One should ask what do you mean by IPv6 support?

Mythtv "tolerates" systems which are dual-stacked right
now.  Native, IPv6 only, depends on more than just Myth.
Last I looked (a number of months ago), MySQL did not
support IPv6.  And many consumer UPnP devices are
currently IPv4 only (my emails to Sony seem to go
into a blackhole; or maybe they have blacklisted my
email address).

Realistically, dual stack (perhaps using RFC 1918
addresses in the home lan) is going to be with
us for some time because so many systems/devices
just do not support IPv6 today.

CGN will be the solution that most of the broadband
providers in the US use as a mechanism to transition
from IPv6 consumer/CPE to IPv4 services.

Gary