[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Feb 9 18:28:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Reynolds, Brian
<Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com> wrote:
> Also, with an X-Box or a D-Link or Linksys media center extender (found on
> e-bay for $100), I can watch live or recorded TV, Blu-Ray movies, DVD’s, and
> just about anything else that Windows can decode on as many frontends as my
> MCE server can handle,

I also meant to mention that this won't work in all cases.  For
content not marked as copy-freely, Windows can record it and play it
back locally only.  Copy-Once/Copy-Never content isn't sharable via
media center extenders as far as I understand it.  Even TiVo has this
same restriction.

Note also that such content can be recorded via MythTV with an HDPVR
(even video on demand) and can be streamed to any frontend.

Eric