[mythtv-users] [old] Re: XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 19:59:17 UTC 2011

I am not a developer... but

compatibility means testing with many more permutations, more complex
code meaning more issues and with (such) a limited development
resource of volunteers I think they have made the right choice. If the
development resource was 10 times the amount it may be more practical.

You are only likely to come across issues if you make a change to your
system setup and that should be taken when you are considering making
the change.

XvMC is quite old, quite out of date and too limited. I would like to
see the effort being made into supporting H264 better for example
(such as supporting mythtranscode --honorcutlist support for h264)...

And, yes I do have XvMC systems that will need replacing, and no, I am
not well off so I do have to consider hardware purchases carefully.