[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Feb 10 04:33:25 UTC 2011

Justin Johnson <justin.johnson3 at gmail.com> says:
> 2) Using the on-screen guide was the only way to schedule a recording.
> I couldn't just browse through an alphabetical list of all shows in
> the next two weeks. This is how I regularly schedule things in
> mythTV, in combination with mythweb.

That's flabbergasting. So if the user hears about a cool TV show, but
doesn't know when or where it's on, he has to scan through the entire
grid of dozens or hundreds of shows for two weeks' worth of listings?

Speaking of user interfaces, I've mentioned before that one thing that
immediately impressed me about MythTV was how Watch Recordings very
cleverly uses two panes to offer both strict-chronological and
sorted-by-program listings of available recordings. Certainly my TiVo,
despite millions of dollars spent (usually quite justifiably) on the
user interface, didn't offer anything like that. In the five years
since I've yet to see anything better.

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg