[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Feb 10 05:06:02 UTC 2011

On 2/9/2011 23:52, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> 1) I've said it before and will say it again: MythTV's scheduler, as
>     simple/simplistic as it is, is a "killer app" feature. It works,
>     and works well, in sorting out conflicts with my four tuners. TiVo
>     had a priority system for its recording rules, too, but a) it was
>     stupendously slow (we're talking minutes for a single rule move)
>     and b) I am told it was horrid if used on a two-tuner
>     TiVo. MythTV's custom rules and numerous customization options are
>     further bonuses.

To be fair, MythTV's scheduler would operate just the same were it run
on the same hardware as a TiVo.  The original TiVo only ran on a 54MHz
PPC.  Even a new, high end Series 4 Premiere only has a dual core 400MHz
Broadcom chip.  This is why we recommend people get a decent Core 2 or
AMD64 processor for a backend, rather than waiting for several minute
long scheduler runs on a 'plug computer'.  Even Atom backends get bogged
down on a cable or satellite lineup with more than a couple tuners.  Not
being restricted to those underpowered, embedded processors is what
gives MythTV that flexibility.