[mythtv-users] [old] Re: XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 10 17:22:56 UTC 2011

On 2/10/2011 4:00 AM, "Bob Sully"<rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
>> >  Message: 5
>> >  Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 21:17:33 -0500
>> >  From: Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>
>> >
>> >  MythTV has never been happy using VDPAU with less than 512MB of memory.
>> >  How much have you allocated to the graphics chip?
>
> It reports a total of 512M.  I'm just not sure why it doesn't work...it's
> supposed to.
>
> Bob

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but what does "XvMC and libmpeg2 to be
dropped in 0.25" really mean?  Does this mean that I will no longer be
able to play back my MPEG2 videos (DVD and HDHR TV recordings)?  Will
doing so be possible only with VDPAU?  To me, that seems a bit
restrictive.  The software decode/playback seems more tolerant of data
errors than VDPAU, so some (me) prefer it.  It would also lock everyone
into a single vendor NVIDIA for video cards.  That doesn't seem like the
open source MythTV way.  Hopefully, this is not what dropping libmpeg2
in 0.25 means.

Jay