[mythtv-users] [old] Re: XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

David Liana dliana.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 19:27:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Rob Smith <kormoc at mythtv.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
> > Maybe I missed it in this thread, but what does "XvMC and libmpeg2 to be
> > dropped in 0.25" really mean?  Does this mean that I will no longer be
> able
> > to play back my MPEG2 videos (DVD and HDHR TV recordings)?  Will doing so
> be
> > possible only with VDPAU?  To me, that seems a bit restrictive.  The
> > software decode/playback seems more tolerant of data errors than VDPAU,
> so
> > some (me) prefer it.  It would also lock everyone into a single vendor
> > NVIDIA for video cards.  That doesn't seem like the open source MythTV
> way.
> >  Hopefully, this is not what dropping libmpeg2 in 0.25 means.
>
> No, that's not what it means.
>
> We currently have the following options:
> XV (Pure Software)
> XV with LibMpeg2 (Pure Software optimized for old AMD k2 processors
> with reduced quality)
> XvMC (Slight Hardware Offload)
> VDPAU (Hardware Offload)
> OpenGL
>

> XV with LibMpeg2 really hasn't been useful to anyone for years and
> users toggle it on and get a worse looking picture and then blame myth
> for being 'crappy'. It's a toggle switch that just needs to be
> removed.
>
> You'll still be able to play your dvds/whatnots in pure software
> modes, just without speed hacks for processors that are 8 years old.

XvMC was b0rked awhile for me, I think it was an update Nvida pushed out.
Don't know if they ever fixed it.

It's my impression that VDPAU is the "next big thing" and being actively
developed.

By that time, I was starting to venture into HD land.  Circuit City was
selling HDTV PCI/PCIe cards for about $40 at the time, since they were going
out of buisness (Hauppage 1600's)

And my original backend went belly up.  So, it was about time that I
upgraded and re-purposed some hardware.

Never looked back.