[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Reynolds, Brian Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com
Thu Feb 10 21:40:26 UTC 2011

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Kingsley Turner
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:29 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

On 10/02/11 04:51, Reynolds, Brian wrote:

Now to my question... what's the advantage of MythTV over Win MCE?  Why
would I want to go this route instead of MCE when I can get copy
protected content in MCE?

MCE can't play MKV format without a bunch of dicking around, and
installing plugins from dubious sources.

M$ could support MKV, they just don't want to.

OK, I could convert the MKV files with VLC Media Player to a format that
is supported by MCE... and I could even automate it so the machine would
convert any new MKV files during off-peak hours.  But I don't know how
much I would use MKV files anyway.  I've only tried to find movies
(torrents) to download a few times... and I've been disappointed every
time.  Either the quality sucks, it's in the wrong language, it isn't
the whole movie, or it isn't what it appeared to be at all.  Each time
I've tried to download some torrents, I just end up wasting more time
than it's worth.  I would rather just pay a few bucks to rent the thing
than to spend hours to find what I want online somewhere.  My time is
worth more than the $3.99 I would save.

Is there some place to find complete, high-definition, English-language
movies to download that is reliable and convenient?  Maybe I'm looking
in all the wrong places.  Of course, I've only tried a few times because
it frustrated me so much.