[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Ryan Patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 02:56:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Phil Linttell <phil.linttell at rogers.com> wrote:
>> I'd be surprised if you really need four tuners with myth to capture the
>> content you really care about.
>
> It's not so surprising if you record a lot of content from U.S.
> broadcast networks. . .
> On the other hand, cable networks tend to rebroadcast a new episode ad
> nauseum during the week, so a single tuner (such as an HD-PVR) seems
> to be perfectly adequate for all cable content.

I can back that up.  I only have OTA TV (no cable / satellite).  I get
the five big networks plus 3-4 sub channels.  My backend has two
HDHR's (four tuners with multiple virtual tuners each).  During prime
time the schedule can get pretty crowded.  Especially with
pre/post-roll padding on every recording rule.  A couple of weeks ago
I there was actually a one hour slot where there were not enough
tuners to record everything scheduled (I chose to not record the rerun
of Star Trek:TNG).

-Ryan