[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Feb 11 03:06:44 UTC 2011

On 2/10/2011 8:43 PM, Ryan Patterson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Reynolds, Brian
> <Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com>  wrote:
>> Is there some place to find complete, high-definition, English-language
>> movies to download that is reliable and convenient?  Maybe I’m looking in
>> all the wrong places.  Of course, I’ve only tried a few times because it
>> frustrated me so much.
>
> You have repeatedly broken the rules of this mailing list: top
> posting, sending "rich" formated e-mails, and now disusing illegally
> downloading copyrighted content.  People have sent you links to the
> rules for this mailing list (I see that in this thread).  Did you read
> the rules?  Are you acting like a troll on purpose?  If you are
> honestly seeking advice, I think Windows MCE would be the better match
> for your needs.

Mmmm, I was once accused of "pirating music" simply because I told a co-worker how I loved having MP3 devices like my car stereo and my Palm Pilot.

When he made the comment that he didn't realize I pirated music - I was rather offended.
I gently informed him that MP3 was a format like .DOC or .PDF and that my collection consisted of my
CD library converted along with music I purchased online. MP3 != pirating anymore than having
.PDF's meant I was stealing scanned books or .AVI's didn't meant I was watching a TV show I recorded and converted.

Of course he apologized since he didn't know although I couldn't see why I needed to tell him this considering he was one
of the companies *I.T.* technicians. (How's that for embarrassing?)

In that original paragraph above from Brian, I see no reference to illicit methods.
There ARE legal methods for getting content online. Everyone immediately assumed he meant illegal and I
see no single word in his paragraph that would indicate he was looking for something of the sort.

So of course we can all suggest the iTunes store and other any outlets we know of.

If we do not know, we can simply decline... If he persists and adds any content that bends towards questionable acquisition, then we can tell him to look elsewhere.

Everyone seemed to pounce on him without really knowing for sure.

  -Ben