[mythtv-users] Crystal HD and .25

Stephen Otto sotto at emsco.com
Fri Feb 11 16:05:17 UTC 2011

> >> I've never tried this before, but since this isn't a _mobile_system_
> and
> >> you have an available miniPCI slot, perhaps you could try one of
> >> these:
> >
> > I thought laptops were mobile systems.
>
> Well normally, sure. But I got the impression from the OP that he had
> this installed in a fairly permanent manner.
>
> And for $200 shipped, that probably isn't a good solution after all.

The laptop just makes for a nice compact package and has worked well for a
bedroom FE. The disk drive died on it so I got it for literally nothing and
turned it into a diskless frontend. It was a nice solution in that you
didn’t have to hide it plus it has a full keyboard and screen if I needed to
monkey with anything.

As I mentioned, I think I can put together a FE from a used P4 tower and
VDPAU card for about $100.