[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 18:02:05 UTC 2011

----- "Eric Sharkey" <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Nasa <nasa01 at comcast.net> wrote:
> >> This isn't worth worrying about.  Firewire channel changing of
> STB's
> >> is rock solid and completely transparent.  It just works.  I've
> had
> >> two different STB models over the past few years and never lost a
> >> recording to a failed channel change.
> >
> > I have to differ with this statement...  Depending on your service
> > provider and thier boxes this feature may not actually work.  I had
> > it going for a number of years, but within the last 6 months
> Comcast
> > turned off the capability all togather (channel changing stopped
> > working all togather).
>
> As far as I know, the FCC regulation that require support for this
> are
> still in effect.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/FireWire#FCC_regulations
>
> Comcast can't just decide to turn off the channel changing
> capabilities for your box.
Actually Eric,

They are not.  I posted about this (no one seemed to have notice) a couple
of months back -- see here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/458778?search_string=fcc;#458778

And from the FCC ruling FCC 10-181:

44. Contrary to Comcast, Verizon and NCTA’s assertions, we believe that it is important to
define a baseline of functionality to ensure that consumers who network their devices and device
manufacturers can rely on networked devices’ ability to communicate with leased set-top boxes.
However, as with the physical interface itself,

we find that it is appropriate, at this time, to refrain from
specifying the exact manner in which this baseline of functionality is to be implemented. Accordingly,
we modify our rules to require that the IP-based connection deliver the video in a recordable format (e.g.,
MPEG-2, MPEG-4, h.264), and pass through closed captioning data in a standard format.

We also believe more advanced functionalities are necessary to provide a foundation for a retail market of
navigation devices that are connected to leased set-top boxes with limited capabilities.149 Those
functionalities include service discovery, video transport, and remote control command pass-through
standards for home networking. While these functionalities may exist in some form today,150 there is
considerable work ongoing in industry standard bodies to provide those functionalities in a manner
designed for IP-based and home network solutions. We, therefore, do not mandate that these additional
functionalities be supported by cable operators immediately. We do, however, wish to ensure that
consumers benefit from these additional functionalities in a timely manner, and require operators to
provide these additional functionalities by December 1, 2012, but do not mandate a particular means by
which these functionalities are to be provided.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-181A1.pdf

Nasa