[mythtv-users] Using Gentoo ebuilds from git packaging repo

E. Westbrook mythtv-users at westbrook.com
Fri Feb 11 18:06:17 UTC 2011

I've been refining my ebuilds for a few months now, and they're ready to
share, especially now that this has come up.

http://github.com/ewestbrook/ew-mythtv-gentoo

It's very easy to try them out... do git clone on the above repo, then add
that directory to PORTDIR_OVERLAY in make.conf.

I have done away with much of what I thought was nonsense in the way of
editing make.conf for versions (which is not the "gentoo way" at all), done
a lot of cleanup and dependency checking, and moved LOTS of common code to
the eclasses.  Also have a mythweb ebuild, and combined all of the
mythplugins ebuilds into one -- again, more in line with the "gentoo way"
since the components are configure options.  (Although for mythweb, I
recommend simply doing "git clone" of the mythweb repo in your htdocs
directory.)

In this scheme, adding an ebuild for a specific version you want is trivial
-- and each new ebuild is only a few lines long!

I also use a version numbering scheme that makes more sense (to me at least)
-- numerically increasing, no "_p" designators, and follows "git describe".

Have a look, try them out, let me know what you think -- happy to share
them, tweak them, and work on integration if people like the approach
better.

Enjoy,
Eric