[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 19:01:13 UTC 2011

On 11 February 2011 16:55, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob at gmail.com> wrote:
> just my 2p, but sorry guys, I feel I have to say that this is a
> completely unfair argument. how can you expect M$'s products to even
> come near the epic-ness of open source.

I think you're basing this on 2 things:
1. People like PVRs being more than just an appliance, more of a hobby
2. They have the technical ability to work with Myth

MS W MCE and TiVo are reasonable products, they are crippled by having
to use DRM in their products essentially to support hardware that is
plug and play. So to make their products easier to use they forgo
tuner solutions and to avoid political or regulatory pressure.

MS W MCE was developed in a fairly short time and as a solution that
is easy to use and with now what amounts to a small team as this isnt
a core or strategic product. Imagine what they could do if they really
tried.

At the moment, and as much as I am upset to say it, I have not seen a
OS for server and client which integrates as well as MS Server with
active directory and MS Windows and these products havent
fundamentally improved in the integration regard since Windows 2000...
and still it is quicker and easier to setup in a managed network
(domain) situation than redhat/ubuntu or anything else.

My point? That when MS wants to do something, they usually can do it
better than most and then they sit back and enjoy the money rolling
in.

My other point? MS may have lost their mojo, maybe active directory
was a one off. (Although Windows 7 looks nice, does it really take us
forward? The company I work for is simply upgrading to win7 cause
winxp isnt supported soon).

rambling rant over...