[mythtv-users] Using Gentoo ebuilds from git packaging repo

Rob Smith kormoc at mythtv.org
Fri Feb 11 19:02:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:06 AM, E. Westbrook
<mythtv-users at westbrook.com> wrote:
> Have a look, try them out, let me know what you think -- happy to share
> them, tweak them, and work on integration if people like the approach
> better.

Thanks for your work, but if would be much nicer if you would work on
integrating your changes into the myth official tree. The
fragmentation of the ebuilds over the years have lead to some...
interesting issues in the past.

Our builds have never required users entering svn numbers into make.conf files.

We used _p and _pre to indicate if it's a stable package or a unstable
package as per Gentoo versioning guidelines. Our version numbers are
numerically increasing.

Adding a new ebuild is as easy as running a small script that does all
the work for you, including major/minor version changes/etc.

I'd strongly request that everyone running their own trees please work
with us to make our tree usable for your use cases and make a nice,
single tree that everyone can use.

Thanks,
~Rob