[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Feb 11 21:47:43 UTC 2011

On 2/11/2011 3:31 PM, Joe Hickey wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Reynolds, Brian
> <Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com>  wrote:
>
>> I saw the post about DRM causing some people problems with the super
>> bowl.  I can understand that a new product will have some bugs, but
>> after reading the posts on thegreenbutton.com I see that Ceton responded
>> pretty quickly too.  That's the kind of company I want to deal with.
>
> Not the kind of company I want to deal with.  You already forgot
> option #2 - just choose not to buy into the DRM in the first place.
> Don't subscribe to the cable company's tactics, keep your money, use
> sources that are not encumbered by such nonsense.  No problems.

THAT's what I don't get.. the "gotta have it" mentality. It's TV!!!

As recently witnessed on TV as Verizon rolled out the iPhone4 and people in the midwest endured bitter single digit temps for WHAT!?!

A FREAKING PHONE! They could wait 3 months, not have to wait in line, it'll be warmer out, no shortage of phones and (here's the kicker) at probably 1/2 the price!

I used to describe it to a friend of mine who was always gung-ho about getting the latest computer hardware... I told him, "if you wait 6 months the stuff you want know will be priced so low, you could probably find it for dirt cheap."

Is 6months so killer to wait for something to cost almost nothing? What's the big rush?

As far as TV is concerned, all those extra pixels don't make the show's script, plot, story any better.

I just don't understand it.

  -Ben