[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Reynolds, Brian Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com
Sat Feb 12 06:27:53 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Raymond Wagner
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 10:20 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

On 2/11/2011 22:11, Rob Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Reynolds, Brian
> <Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com>  wrote:
>> I'm planning to build the machine with two 1TB 7200 RPM drives
>> configured in a RAID-0 to maximize throughput on the serial
reads/writes
>> that will be required for playback/recording.   I'm thinking that
this
>> will be needed for recording (or watching live TV, with a buffer) so
>> many HD streams simultaneously and also the possibility of streaming
>> several pre-recorded streams out to the
extenders/front-ends/browsers.
>> I've chosen a case with enough space for additional drives for more
>> throughput/storage-space (just in case it's needed) and/or
configuring
>> them as a RAID-1+0 for redundancy, although I don't feel that the
>> content will really justify a need for redundancy.  As Ben Kamen
says...
>> television isn't THAT important (but it's a pretty funny thing to say
on
>> a list that is dedicated to recording TV).
> Just as a point, my current usb 2.0 drive handles 10 HD streams at
> once just fine (3 writing, 6 flagging, 1 playing).

Just a follow-up, the most you will ever see out of a single tuner is
around 36Mbps.  That is recording every broadcast on a single QAM256
cable channel, which means 3 HD channels, or a dozen SD channels.  For
pure sequential access, a modern 2TB 5400RPM drive will top out north of

1Gbps, and won't go lower than 400Mbps.

Raymond,

Thanks for the info.  I'm a newbie, so I'm not quite clear on recording
multiple channels (HD or SD) from a single tuner.  Can someone
elaborate?

Thanks!

P.S.  I love the debate here.  I'm new to all this stuff, but I'm
learning quickly.  I have been spending HOURS reading about this stuff.
I'm always willing to accept the fact that someone else might know more
about something than I know.  So please don't take offense to something
I write... I'm really just looking for information (except for the
phallic references, of course). ;)

Brian