[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 12 08:02:36 UTC 2011

On 02/11/2011 11:35 PM, Reynolds, Brian wrote:
> Ummm... I don't know about you... but I can only get a few channels via
> OTA tuners.  I don't live in a big city.  I'm about 60 miles (as the
> crow flies) from Orlando... and there are only a few OTA channels there.
> The ones in my local area are crap... not worth watching IMO.

WESH, WKMG, WFTV, WDSC, WKCF, WMFE, WRDQ, WOFL, WOPX ION, WRBW, WBCC
(and a few others, but the ones I listed would have the best shows,
IMHO) should all come in well (and all but maybe one will lie in a
nearly straight line making it easy to point an antenna).  Should be on
the order of 40+ channels total (at least 10 of which should have
interesting material--enough to fill, say, 12TB of HDDs with >1500
recordings that you can't watch as fast as they accrue, even with
timestretch).  At least, I'd guess that's the case.

> You can play Don Quixote if you want... and battle the DRM windmill.  I
> prefer not to wait a year (or more/never) to watch my favorite shows on
> DVD.  Plus, someone will ALWAYS defeat the DRM.  I'd be willing to bet
> that someone will create hacked firmware for the Ceton card within two
> years... and then we'll all be able to receive encrypted cable TV
> without any restrictions.  Just like DVD and BluRay... we thought it
> would never happen... and today, we can rip those babies to any media we
> want!

And all you have to do is commit a federal felony offense to do it your way.

Who's to say I'm battling windmills rather than just refusing to break
the law (where the only reason to break the law is because the law
causes me slight inconvenience--in using a STB DVD player rather than
MythTV to play my DVDs--or requires me to stay one season behind on the
non-broadcast shows I like).

(Possibly NSFW) http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2134

I'm fighting the cable company's policies--and wholly realize it's a
losing battle (unless I can convince my 100,000,000 closest friends to
also drop cable)--but it turns out that I'm saving a /ton/ of money
compared to the people I know who aren't fighting the cable company's
policies.

Mike