[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Reynolds, Brian Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com
Sat Feb 12 21:59:06 UTC 2011

> Features that I like about Myth that no other DVR has to my knowledge:
>
> 1) Automatic commercial skip with a single button press (don't have to
> fast forward through them)
> 2) Time stretch. It is especially valuable (to me) during baseball and
> football season, where I can watch a game with 30% speedup as well as
> commercial skip, and watch the game in half the time it takes to see
it
> live and not miss any of it.
> 3) Advanced scheduling. Despite complaints about the scheduler that
you
> could find in this mailing list's archives, I've seen TiVo, I've seen
> cable company DVR's, and nothing else even comes close to what Myth
can
> do in this area.

Greg, thanks for the info.  Does myth add the commercial skip feature in
Live TV (when starting the program 15+ minutes after the start of the
program)?  There's a program for MCE that adds this feature to
non-encrypted content (only after the recording is complete).  I don't
know how much non-encrypted content I'll be able to receive yet, but
it's an interesting feature.  However, I think I could live with just
fast-forwarding through the commercials.  It works well on the cable
company's DVR, and I'm happy with it.

The time stretch thing sounds pretty cool.  I'm not sure how much I
would use it, but it's a pretty cool idea.