[mythtv-users] Automation query

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 13 00:16:34 UTC 2011

On 02/12/2011 06:17 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> If 0.24 has functionality that prevents the issue from occurring I am
> glad to hear it as I am still on 0.23. What does setting the timeout
> to 10 seconds do? Is it a delay between channel changing and
> attempting to lock on the signal? If so I imagine it would make using
> live TV painful.

For the first time, ever, MythTV 0.24+ monitors external channel change
progress so that it can determine when to begin recording, even for
long-running channel-change scripts.  With earlier versions of MythTV,
if you had a channel change script that could run for more than a second
or 2, you'd have to background the script--so mythbackend starts
recording immediately, even before channel change was complete--and hope
that everything worked out.

The HD-PVR, though, is very temperamental and if you began recording
before it had gotten a "lock," it would cause problems.  Therefore, John
Poet wrote code to monitor the channel change script and start recording
once it completes.

If you set the timeout to 10s and your external channel change script
takes 0.00005 seconds to complete, mythbackend will start recording
after 0.00005s (well, plus a few ms or whatever it takes since nothing
is instantaneous :).  If your channel change script takes 9s, though--as
can happen for an HD-PVR to become ready to record under some
circumstances--mythbackend will wait until the device is ready before
beginning to record.  In other words, nothing changes as far as the
performance of the HD-PVR or channel changes with the HD-PVR, but rather
than have a built-in "wait a few seconds just in case", we can start
recording as soon as the device/drivers are ready (which will, in
general, likely be around the same wait time as with the previous
hard-coded wait, but could be shorter or longer in some circumstances).

The reason I mentioned the timeout is because since that timeout value
was never used before for capture using inputs that required external
channel change scripts, users who upgrade their databases from previous
versions may have invalid/incorrect values for the timeout for their
devices/channel change scripts.  Therefore, anyone who uses an external
channel change script and upgrades to 0.24 should verify the values are
sensible.

That said, if you upgrade to 0.24-fixes from this Thursday or later, you
will almost definitely see /much/ faster and more reliable Live TV and
playback startup, and possibly faster channel changes in Live TV, thanks
to some great work done by Mark Kendall and Taylor Ralph.  I highly
recommend the upgrade--especially for Live TV users.

Note, though, you need a /very/ new 0.24-fixes.

Mike