[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 13 16:24:09 UTC 2011

On 02/13/2011 10:49 AM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 2/12/2011 12:54 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
>> On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 22:01 -0600, Reynolds, Brian wrote:
>>> I haven't tried out Hulu yet, but I'm told that it
>>> adds a bunch of HD content... and if I remember correctly (don't count
>>> on my memory) even recent airings of broadcast TV.
>> There is a guy at work who swears by Hulu. I don't think it can do
>> nearly what Myth can do, but it delivers a lot of the content that some
>> of us subscribe to cable for, such as sporting events.
> I use hulu via my PC (I don't have the $8/mo sub) -- it's a different thing.
>
> Think of Netflix as the Video Rental store gone "internet" -- where they rent DVD's via mail -- OH and they have started ripping them (DMCA anyone? hahah) to allow streaming via you internet connection.
>
> Hulu is more like the Broadcast TV archive wannabe. (give it long enough and they will I guess)
> They essentially are like Netflix with TV shows.. (and some movies).
>
> If I want to watch movies, I'd go to Netflix.
> If I wanted to stream TV shows that I missed last night, I'd go to Hulu.
>    (example: I missed the State of the Union address, so I watched it next day on Hulu)

FWIW, the reasoning behind my mentioning, "I don't see [Hulu] having a
bright (and free-of-charge) future."

http://www.vision2mobile.com/news/2011/02/hulu-com-dominates-online-tv-market.aspx
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20029762-261.html

and many similar stories around the web.  And, everyone knows how well
things go over when a company starts off by giving something away for
free, then starts to charge for it.

Mike