[mythtv-users] Myth problem or HDPVR probmem?

Don Lewis dl-mythtv at catspoiler.org
Tue Feb 15 03:28:16 UTC 2011

On 14 Feb, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/14/2011 07:07 PM, Don Lewis wrote:
>> This problem is especially maddening because even though I do the
>> "delete and allow re-record" dance, these shows still show up in the
>> database as recorded,
>
> Yes, as they should.  The record should /not/ be deleted from the
> database--and if you're doing so manually, you're wasting your time (and
> potentially endangering your recording history if you're not at least
> using the Previously Recorded screen in mythfrontend to do the delete).
> I have seen no indications of delete and allow re-record failing to do
> the right thing for many versions of MythTV--like since the 0.21 days.
> (Perhaps you're expecting it to be handled by the code differently from
> how it's actually handled?)

If I bother to delete it from the database, I use the Previous Recorded
screen to do it.  Doing this is kind of a pain, because it can take
quite a while to page down to the entry that I want to delete.

I have seen "forget old" fail to allow an episode to be re-recorded,
with the only workaround being to disable duplicate detection.  I've
also had power search rules using the episode id falsely detect
duplicates.  I haven't had time to debug either of these, but at least
the workaround is fairly easy.

>>   and if the recording rule is "record one showing",
>> I have to re-enter the rule.
>
> Yes, if the recording rule was already deleted (as recording rules for
> already-recorded find-one recording rules are within one day after the
> recording completes), you would have to re-create the rule.

I usually use the mythweb interface to enter the recording rules.  I
sometimes go several days without checking for failed recordings, so
I've gotten to the point of when I delete the zero byte recordings, I
write them down on a piece of paper so that I can re-enter any deleted
recording rules.  I've also started disabling duplicate checking when I
re-enter the rules to guard against missing the recording again if I
accidentally hit delete instead of delete and allow re-record.

Another annoyance of the mythweb interface is that on the listings pages
it is not possible to distinguish between an episode that was deleted
and one that was deleted with allow re-record.  My next chance to record
a show that failed with a zero byte recording might happen until far
into the future, and when it occurs I might not try to record it because
the listings show that it has already been recorded.  It would be nice
to have a "delete and entirely forget" option, to handle mythtv
recording failures as well as incorrect listings.