[mythtv-users] hdhr file troubles on atv2

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue Feb 15 18:30:33 UTC 2011

Raymond Wagner wrote:

>>> Sorry I was too hasty, I had encoded them to 1080p but at a lower
>>> bitrate with ffmpeg -crf 24, which resulted in visibly perfect,
>>> according to mediainfo:
>>> Overall bit rate                 : 6 143 Kbps
>> Again too fast, I used -cqp 24
>> instead of -crf 24
>
> In case anyone wants to follow suit, a quantizer of 18 is considered
> effectively lossless, and 20 or under good enough that most people will
> not notice any artifacts on a moving image, only stills.  A quantizer of
> 24 is considered 'medium quality' and will result in artifacts and
> blurring visible by most people even during playback.  There is good
> reason why Bluray video typically runs at upwards of 30Mbps, rather than 6.
Bits ain't always Bit's. Gzip-slow does a better job then Gzip-fast on
compressing a textfile.
X264 is one of the best encoders around, if not the best.
A Russian H264 comparison-site, haven't the name of it right now, showes
that there are VERY BIG differences in the bitrate when quality is the
same. In previous years some BIG-names where attending and the results
where ......