[mythtv-users] "Please Wait" no longer appearing when playing recordings?

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Wed Feb 16 11:18:17 UTC 2011

On 15/02/2011 15:39, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On 15 February 2011 23:25, John Veness<John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk>  wrote:
>> But, I'm still not seeing any Please Wait message.
>
> It was only fixed around 12 hours ago in fixes/0.24

As of today, "Please Wait" is back for me - hurrah, many thanks!

Having said that, at least on the Mythbuntu theme, the transition from
the menus to playback is not completely clean, and not quite how it was
before. (Sorry if this sounds like complaining, but really I'm just
trying to help!)

What's happening now is that I get the Please Wait screen with a fully
black background, then then for a split second I see the theme
background (with no Please Wait text or any other text) before playback
starts. The split second of seeing the theme background is what is new,
as it didn't do that previously - it used to go straight from the Please
Wait with black background screen to playback.

As I say, I'm not complaining too much, but I wanted to mention it just
so you were aware. This may be theme-dependent as I haven't tried with
other themes, yet.

> For normal startup, the biggest delay is usually in
> ffmpeg scanning the file and initialising the decoders - which
> currently blocks the main thread. Hence there is no opportunity to
> refresh the display and provide animations etc at that point.

Thanks for the explanation, Mark. It would be nice to see some kind of
animation but I appreciate this would a lot of work to add another
thread etc.

Cheers,

John

--