[mythtv-users] 5.1 wrong speaker problem - SOLVED

Steve Harrington steve at the-harringtons.org
Sat Feb 19 03:01:39 UTC 2011

<snip>
> No point manually entering them.

Actually, I had to type in ALSA:hdmi in the "Audio output device:"
field in order to get this to work.  The steps I used were:

1) Install the latest ALSA from:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/InstallingLinuxAlsaDriverModules
2) Added the following to ~/.asoundrc:

pcm.!hdmi {
     type             route
     slave.pcm
"cards.HDA-Intel.pcm.hdmi.0:CARD=NVidia,AES0=0x4,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2"
     ttable.0.0 1
     ttable.1.1 1
     ttable.6.4 1
     ttable.7.5 1
     ttable.4.2 1
     ttable.5.3 1
     ttable.2.6 1
     ttable.3.7 1
 }

I think that this is slightly different than the one above.  Maybe
because of my amp?  I had to tweak it after running "speaker-test
-Dhdmi -c 8" .

3) Set "Audio output device:" to ALSA:hdmi .

I'm not sure that this is the most efficient way, but it worked for
me.  The only thing I'm a little bummed about is that DTS-MA HD tracks
have to use the DTS Core, so all of my 7.1 videos fall back to 5.1.
Arg! :)

JYA - thanks for the 24Hz tip on your web site - videos that are 24
fps look much smoother with that fix than otherwise.

Hope this can help someone else.