[mythtv-users] S/PDIF audio on new MythTV box

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 04:08:52 UTC 2011

> If running 0.24 ; it's just a matter of scanning for audio device
> within myth, then selecting the appropriate device.

If only it were that simple!

> The list of available audio devices can be found by running aplay -l
> (show the cards) and aplay -L (show the devices)

I have a Fedora 14 distro and aplay isn't installed. And it seems that
it's no longer available for download anywhere, either. All I can find
is gnome-alsamixer,

> Make sure it's not muted, ALSA audio devices are by default muted so
> run alsamixer and make sure the device isn't muted.

Does gnome-alsamixer work in the same way as alsamixer?

Does anyone know if there's a good HOWTO on getting this working. I
have looked at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Digital_Sound_with_AC3_and_SPDIF
which is how I got my old box up and running, but it refers to
software that doesn't seem to exist any more (at least as far as
Fedora 14 is concerned).