[mythtv-users] migrating from analog cable to digital cable (Cogeco), recheduling on new tuners and removing existing tuner

Mike McMullin mwmcmlln at mnsi.net
Sun Feb 20 04:45:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 23:31 -0500, Tom Lichti wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln at mnsi.net> wrote:
> >
> >  My cable company is migrating it's customers over to digital cable (I
> > think they're trying to phase out analog service).  Currently I'm on
> > analog, and am using an Hauppauge pvr-150 card, but I also have an HD
> > Homerun dual tuner box, which currently does nada thanks to the analog
> > signal.
> >  My question actually revolves around getting the programs which are
> > currently being recorded on the pvr-150 to record on the two HDHR
> > tuners.  When the digital signal get's turned on, I'm planning on
> > deleting all tuner cards, then adding the HDHR tuners by device id.
> > What do I need to do, to get myth to recalculate the scheduling to use
> > the new tuners?
>
> If Cogeco is anything like Rogers (and they likely are) there won't be
> anything available via QAM to the HDHR. Having said that, after the
> 'cutover' you will likely still get the same analog channels as
> before, at least for the foreseeable future. Have you tried setting up
> an antenna to use with that HDHR?
>
> You might get lucky and they broadcast the digital channels
> un-encrypted, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

  I'm going to hit their kiosk and tell them that they can blow off all
encrypted content, but I've run a channel scan with the HDHR and it sees
upper unencrypted channels, but doesn't do the analog signals on the
lower end, I should also talk to them about the analog signals, I'd
rather not pay for several digital boxes, and I can also blow off their
rental unit @$4 a month.
  As far as antennae, I'm just across the ditch from Detroit, and their
HD thanks to the ?foresight? of the g'ment there, it could be worth a
desktop unit, I forget when we're (Canada) due for the change.