[mythtv-users] HDMI audio: plughw:0, 7 works but hdmi:CARD=NVidia doesn't

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 08:15:06 UTC 2011

Hi again

finally got access to pastebin.com

On 20 February 2011 13:05, Dave Badia <dbadia at gmail.com> wrote:

> I went back in to upgrade alsa-lib and give it one final try tonight.
> Still no audio using aplay tests for the hdmi device, but when I went
> back into the audio settings it let me choose DTS-HD and TrueHD as
> options for plughw:0,7.  Not sure is supposed to, but since it did I
> figured might as well try.  Anyway, the DTS-HD soundtrack fails to
> play, here's the part of the frontend log with -vaudio:
> (Full log from the start of playing the video at http://pastebin.com/hXepZgsX )

You can't use plughw or plug or hw if you want to use DTS-HD MA ; the
IEC958 bit must be set.
So you will have to find the right ALSA:hdmi device that does play. If
you did install a very recent alsa lib as you stated, they will appear
in the list of audio device within mythtv. If they don't appear, you
don't have a version recent enough of ALSA.

According to the log, everything is set otherwise to do DTS-HD MA ;
assuming you've fixed the above , if you don't hear any sound ; it
means your card + amplifier can't do it.

DTS-HD MA is very picky ; I got TrueHD working without much problem
with my GT220, but DTS-HD MA never played. I since got a GT430 and
it's all good.

JY