[mythtv-users] Any Debian / Mythtv / Nvidia users here?

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 22:06:05 UTC 2011

On 2/20/11 3:53 PM, stuart wrote:

> So, I'm asking here what people running Debian Mythtv boxes do.  (Other
> then avoid updates like the plague.)

I know this doesn't help you know, but:  This isn't a Debian-specific
thing, but I've found that the above is *exactly* the sane thing to do.
 If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Seriously.  Depending on your
mindset, that can be a tricky mantra to stick to.

If the machine isn't accessible directly from the internet, then just
treat it as an appliance and just let it be.  Otherwise, install only
security updates for exposed software.

I've been running MythTV for nearly 8 years in various forms, and all
too often what started out as a "oh, I'll just get the latest update for
package <x>" turns into a huge time sink that may end up in needing to
restore from the latest backup.   Even more so on Gentoo!  :)

If you enjoy tinkering, then by all means go ahead.  Otherwise,
carefully consider what performing an update will gain you, and what it
might cost you in the worst case scenario.

-WD