[mythtv-users] Problem with parental level on 2nd frontend

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Tue Feb 22 12:55:53 UTC 2011

 On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 09:57:41 +0100, raptor jr <raptorjr at hotmail.com>
 wrote:
>>Are you doing browse mode on computer 2? Try turning it off.
> (menu button)
>
>  Yes, tried it both on and off. But it is turned on for computer 1,
> and that one works. But browse mode would only allow me to see files
> that is not in the database? It wouldn't block content from the
> database? So if file A is scanned and added to the database, and file
> B is not, i would se A and B with browse mode on, and only A with it
> turned off?
>  Either way, if i understand that option right, it wouldn't block
> movie description and fanart from a file that is scanned into the
> database.
>
>  I was first thinking about some permission issue, that is a popular
> problem, but if it would be that computer 1 would have the same
> problem. And since computer 2 can watch recordings and LiveTV, and
> ALL
> movies, it must have enough contact with the backend. What more is
> needed?
>
>  /Stefan

 I think you need to describe your install for us...

 Assume there is a Backend Server A which is your central media
 folder(s) *and* runs your BE software *including the database*.
 Assume there are Frontend B and Frontend C.

 For purpose of having a combined FE+BE, let's assume that Server A and
 Frontend C are the same box.

 Then, (one frequently used) the install should be like this:

 Server A has a folder called /media/movies where the videos are
 physically located
 Server A shares that folder via Samba/SMB or NFS

 Frontend B would need to open up a share connect to this folder over
 the network.  Frontend C (same as BE) could potentially access the
 folder using the local folder name or via the share.

 It has been my understanding that the best practice is that all the FEs
 should be configured to reference the media share/folder in the same
 way.

 Therefore, if I was doing it (which may contain unnecessary layers, but
 it works) use a standard folder path for all FEs by creating a virtual
 folder called /shares/movies

 -- On FE B: symlink (ln -s) so that /shares/movies points to the
 network share
 -- On FE C: ALSO create the symlink, even it's to a local folder.
 (the symlink between these two will likely be different in what they
 reference, but they will BOTH see the media as /shares/movies/)

 THEN, in the mythsetup for folders, you use the SAME folder references.

 This way the folders, the path to the filenames, and the database meta
 data all agree.

 It sounds to me that you have different folder paths on the BE+FE and
 the standalone FE to the same media.  I'm pretty sure (but not 100%)
 that this going to behave in unexpected ways since I believe that the
 database stores the folder path in the database when the other meta data
 is stored.  In such a case, you probably *do* end up having multiple
 definitions of the same media, which would potentially result in some of
 the symptoms you have shared.

 And, as happens often, someone on the list may jump on this thread and
 tell you I'm full of baloney.  Good luck.