[mythtv-users] How do you point to a remote folder

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Feb 22 14:53:51 UTC 2011

> I finally got fstab to mount the remote folder using the following syntax:
>
> //possum/MusicFilms /mnt/MusicFilms cifs
> credentials=/home/anthony/.credentials,_netdev,dir_mode=0775,uid=mythtv,gid=
> 124  0  0
>
> On startup I can browse the files system and see the contents of Music Films
> in the /mnt folder.
>
> However mythVideo still does not see this location from the Frontend
> interface??
>
> I checked Myth Frontend going to media library and I can one see 2 of the 3
> locations I defined, both local
> /var/lib/mythtv/videos (default) and
> /home/anthony/Videos
>
> I checked myth Frontend setup: - Utilities - Setup - Settings -Media
> Settings - Video Settings - General Settings and
> /var/lib/mythtv/videos: /home/anthony/Videos:/mnt/MusicFilms -  is the
> string entered.
>
> Also checking myth Backend - Storage directories - Videos and the 3 rows are
> listed as:
> /var/lib/mythtv/
> /home/anthony/Videos
> /mnt/MusicFilms
>
> Now MusicFilms is mounted as recommended by this group and I have double
> checked that it has the same permissions granted to the mythtv group as the
> other locations however I cannot see the MusicFilms content even though VLC
> can play these files opening via the browse functionality, WITHOUT having to
> mount in fstab.
> I am also confused whether I shoud set storage group location in the backend
> or the front end.  I expected to do this in the backend ONLY so I am
> surprised that the frontend also seems to be editable also?
>
> I wasted 11 hours of time over 2 weeks getting the syntax of fstab OK and
> still myth video will not access anything except local folders?
>
> Any advise why this is happening?

In the frontend 'Watch Videos' page there's a menu option, accessed by
pressing 'm' or the menu key, that lets you 'scan for changes'.  Without
that your videos will be invisible.  Perhaps that's what you need?    I
frequently forget how to do this, because it doesn't show in the menu
structure.

John P